Sarah McLachlan School of Music
Founded over 20 years ago by renowned Canadian singer-songwriter Sarah McLachlan, The Sarah McLachlan School of Music (SoM) helps children, youth, and adults 55+ find their voice. Using music as a tool to inspire connection, students with different needs, abilities, skill levels, learning styles and backgrounds come together to discover and fulfill their creative potential.
SoM is not a conventional “music school”: the SoM team creates a community space that is welcoming, safe, and supportive and where all students can feel comfortable being themselves and playing music together. By providing access to barrier free and creative music programs, a unique trust is built among staff and students that expands possibility. While music is the foundation of the SoM community, SoM is built upon the intrinsic value of inclusivity, proudly offering a space where young people are encouraged to forge deep friendships and express themselves.
“We teach music, but we also teach respect, equality, empathy, and the importance of being engaged members of our community. Music connects us to ourselves and to others and we know, now more than ever, that community is vital to our human experience.” – Sarah McLachlan, Founder & Chair
Over its 20+ year history, SoM has remained true to Sarah’s vision that music programs, transportation, and access to healthy food be offered at no cost for students facing significant financial and social emotional barriers to access. SoM has grown from a small pilot project in 2002 to today serving over 1,000 students a year through locations in Vancouver, Surrey, and Edmonton.
SoM receives no government funding, and has been supported by Sarah’s committed community of friends, event attendees, and important foundation and corporate partnerships. Now, to support the School’s planned growth and ensure its long-term sustainability, we are recruiting a new Director of Development to lead all of our fundraising efforts.
The Director reports to the Executive Director, and partners with an engaged staff group, keen Board members, and Sarah herself. This unique and once-in-a-career opportunity features:
- A supportive and mutually empowering group of artistic and professional colleagues;
- The chance to build and professionalize a development program, while maintaining the School’s creative and organic culture;
- The opportunity to judiciously and strategically partner with an engaged, excited, and keen celebrity Founder;
- A donor and prospect list that would be the envy of many other fundraising programs;
- A leadership role in a school with a direct line-of-sight to improving the lives of children, their families, and society at large
For more information or to apply, please get in touch by email or fill in this confidential form.
- A Natural collaborator – able to quickly connect and build relationships with a diverse group of people
- Dynamic and relational – you default to action, are an excellent listener, and can pick up nuance in dealing with others. You’re excited to build.
- Confident and assertive – you deploy your expertise with tact and diplomacy, and aren’t overawed by working with celebrities or high net worth individuals.
- Passionate and curious – you question the status quo, and are not afraid to try new ways of doing things.
- A leader that inspires commitment to strengthening community through music – you can take in all the wonderful things the School does, and distill it into clear and compelling language and calls to action for our donors.
- Inclusive and Respectful – actively contributes towards creating an inclusive, welcoming, and safe work environment
- Visionary – able to create a compelling vision for your colleagues, partners, donors, and area of work, to get buy-in, and to engage and empower others to deliver on your plans for the future.
- You understand that music is in the air we breathe, while at the same time it’s a tool to achieve phenomenal things.